December 31, 2012

Oktaves Album

Before the year ended, I was able to get the OKTAVES album. I've been dying to own this record!

I have nothing but good things to say about this album. I like it not just because Ely Buendia is part of this supergroup, but because the album is plain great. The band is composed of Chris Padilla (currently of Hilera) on vocals and guitars, Nitoy Adriano (long-time axeman of The Jerks) on lead guitar, Ivan Garcia on bass (Hilera), Bobby Padilla on drums (Hilera), and of course, Ely Buendia on vocals (Pupil).

The album starts with "Gone, Gone, Gone." I heard myself saying, "Ah, this is the song they sang at the Starmall show." I thought it was a cover. Can I hear a "Poor Man's Grave" riff at the beginning of the song? It’s a cool track. Maybe I will like it even more in the future.

"Hold On Tight" by Chris Padilla is a song that I usually might skip, but it is actually a very cool track. I think the song is Rated SPG, haha! With lines like "Show me your junk and I'll show you mine."

"K.U.P.A.L." is the song that made MYX shorten its title to "K.P.L." I haven't seen the video on MYX yet, so I'm not sure if some words are bleeped. Anyway, this song is very timely because election season is here again. Let us not vote for the K.U.P.A.L. politicians. And as for what we should do with the K.U.P.A.L. who are currently elected, Ely has a suggestion: "Sipain na 'yan hanggang sa buwan." The song is very easy to understand and listen to. It reminds me of "Pare Ko" with its sheer honesty. It's very catchy, and I hope it does well on the charts.

"Walang Magawa" is a very short but catchy song by Chris Padilla. I think the Hilera boys are known for short and catchy songs. It reminds me of "Wala Akong Alam" by Hilera.

"Olivia" is a modern version of "Toyang"—or at least an easier song to listen to than "Dianetic." So, Ely likes writing songs about girls, haha! The chorus goes: "Olivia, Olivia, won't you come back to me and make a brand new start? Olivia, Olivia, Lord have mercy on me, I'm falling apart."

"Get You" feels like a Hilera song, but more on the "rock" side.

"Paakyat Ka Pa Lang, Pababa Na Ako" for me is a song about how being mature means being ahead of everything. "Marami na akong nagawang ayaw ko nang ulitin pa." I think I already heard Ely say that in an interview.

"Ikot" is one of my favorite songs from the album. Written by Chris Padilla, it reminds me of an old song I can't quite pinpoint. Ang galing at ganda lang sobra! I hope they make this a single.

"Detox" is a short song by Ely. It's clearly about Ely's health (well, I think so). It starts with the lines: "Baby don't you worry about nothing, the medicine's working, I'm gonna be all right." It's good to hear it from him. I saw a picture on his Instagram where he's cutting this greasy lechon. I also saw a picture of him eating those bad liempos, hehe. Stalker lang ang peg? (Sorry for using the word peg... haha!)

"Standing On My Own" by Chris P. reminds me of "Rainy Days and Mondays"... haha, maybe it's just me! I really like this song, too. Total chillax song—the kind of track you’d like to listen to at night, maybe when it's a rainy Monday... haha.

"Bungo sa Bangin" is the song that made Ely retweet my tweet, haha! But here on the album, it's just The OKTAVES. In the original version, Kat Agarado of Sinosikat? and Sara Gaugler from Turbo Goth were part of the track. I must say I prefer the original version—I really like the ad-libs by the female vocalists.

"Langit Express" is a sad song. A short story with the line: "Umuwi ka na, nanay mo'y nag-aalala. Magkita tayo alas otso, huling byahe na ng Langit Express." Don't blame me, but I catch some Eraserheads vibes with this song!

I love the album very much. I know I am not a professional album reviewer, so that is all I can say, haha! Right now, I am LSS-ing over "Ikot." I really hope this album does well. If a K-Pop album or those freaking One Direction albums sell more than this, then let's just end the world already! Please, I am begging you, buy original albums! Buy this album—it’s only 300 pesos. K-Pop or One Direction albums are worth 350-plus, I guess... haha. Please, please, please buy this one! Hindi kayo magsisisi.

For Eraserheads fans, buy this album. This is the closest Ely has gotten to the Eraserheads sound. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't sound strictly like an Eraserheads album, but it's the closest, I guess... and if you disagree, well... just buy the freaking album anyway!





3 comments:

stickerhappy said...

please post the lyrics of langit express please.thanks

ariahs said...

paki post naman ung link ng minention mong pictures ni ely. yhanks. gonna wait for it..

VAJourney.ph said...

hi! papost naman ng lyrics ng Ikot..
Thanks!