March 02, 2010

K Pop!

"I want nobody, nobody but you (clap clap)"

I am appalled by the sudden popularity of Korean music. I can’t understand why we Filipinos like these songs when we only know a single phrase from them.

I am not really against those Korean pop stars. What I am against are Filipinos who support them more than our own OPM artists. In my opinion, OPM is dying, and it’s because we listen more to these Chinese-looking guys called Super Junior and to Sandara’s group.

Okay, I must admit—when I was about 8 or 9 years old, I bought an album by Lââm/Larusso. As a kid, it’s normal to just listen to or like whatever is popular. So maybe I can forgive it if you’re around that age, but my god, if you’re older than that… I don’t know.

We usually like a song because of its music and lyrics. So how am I supposed to like or support these Korean stars when I don’t understand a single word they say? What I’m trying to say is that it’s fine to listen to and support these K-pop stars, but let us support our very own artists first. Try listening to Urbandub—their songs are mostly about love. Or, if you’re really into pop songs, there’s a group called… I forgot! Haha. It’s a group of teens who wear candy-colored clothes and sing pop novelty songs. They are VIVA artists.

As I write this rant, I am watching MTV and their Asian Takeaway segment. I just saw a video by Van Ness Wu. Does his name ring a bell? He’s from F4. I wonder why they don’t play OPM artists instead. We are better… far better than Van Ness Wu or Sandara Park.

So yeah, I am blaming the media for this whole crap…

0 comments: