I’m getting old. The last concert I went to was the New Year Countdown at Resorts World Manila, where Ely Buendia was so close to us—approximately half a meter away on a 3-foot stage.
I never thought I’d ever get closer than that. But thanks to H&M, the distance this time was shockingly about half a ruler’s length, on maybe a 12-inch stage. As Ely put it, this was the closest they’ve ever been to the crowd while performing. I was so close I could count his white hairs… so close I could even read their setlist.



Since he was so close and it was my first time using my Canon S140 to take concert photos, I was practicing with the aperture, shutter speed, and ISO (or whatever, haha). Anyway, some people were requesting “Hey Jude” and “Hey Jay,” and Ely gamely played the intro riffs of those songs. Then they started requesting other songs from his old band. I wanted to say, “Please stop!” since Ely was in such a good mood and I didn't want them to ruin it. He had already played “Magasin,” and I could tell he was in a genuinely great mood.
I think every time he's with Pupil, he feels more comfortable. Unlike when he performs as a solo artist (where he projects a completely different vibe) or with The Oktaves, I can really see his passion and happiness when he's with Pupil. It’s his comfort zone.
After those nostalgic songs, they played new tracks like “Cheap Tricks” and “Out of Control.” At the end, he threw his guitar pick into the crowd while saying, “Sa inyo na lang.” I don’t know if I was just imagining it, but he looked right at me! Sayang! I almost caught it, pero there was a taller guy. So yeah, like I said, his vibe that day was just different. It was the happiest performance I’ve ever seen him give at a gig.
Wendell Garcia, the happiest drummer boy... but not seen in this picture.





Haaay… with this gig I rekindled my love affair with the band music and scene.
Thank you H&M for the giving us literal “CLOSE” the loop experience.
0 comments:
Post a Comment