October 03, 2015

In your face and other songs about other faces

She may not have won The Voice of the Philippines Season 2—heck, she was bashed tremendously—but with her debut album, she proves she is far more than just the three-chair turner playing the ukulele or the senator's daughter.

She doesn't have the birit voice that typical singing contests look for. Instead, she has a sweet voice paired with blunt, in-your-face songs.

Her tracklist is ridiculously catchy. I love listening to it in the morning when I'm riding a packed MRT and feel like singing her song "In Your Face" out loud:

"Hey, hey, hey You need to get out of my way, hey, hey 'Cause if you don't turn around this is gonna make a sound 'Cause I'm about to slap you in your face"

This City can be played during long trips or just walking around the city, maybe job hunting.. haha



In the afternoon while working, I like to listen to "Tongue Tied." It takes you right back to those times when you saw your crush in the hallway and tried to speak when they came up to make conversation with you.





In the evening while heading home, I can't help but sing "Ngayong Gabi." I love listening to it while walking down a dark street, my hair blowing in the breeze, daydreaming that someday a guy will walk me home.


"I Should Have Left" — a song about heartbreak and the lessons you should remember when entering a new relationship (naks!).



I love her album so much that I'm inspired to write my own songs and learn to play the ukulele! I really believe she isn't meant for cover songs—she is meant to sing her own material. So screw the bashers; she is a true artist, not just another birit singer.

She may not have won The Voice, but who needs that title when you have the wit and creativity to build a real career?

0 comments: