
Usong-uso ngayon the trend of paying tribute to legendary artists. This involves reviving songs from a chosen artist to “pay tribute” to the music they created. Mostly, tributes are given to legendary artists who are no longer making music lately due to new fields, disbandment, taking a break, etc.
First came Ultraelectromagneticjam: The Music of Eraserheads. At first, I was having second thoughts about buying it because I had already recorded its album launch on tape, thanks to Jam 88.3! But I realized (naks, ang lalim noon!) that this is a collector's edition, and it’s much better to own a legitimate copy. Here is my review, even though this album is already a bit old:
Alapaap by 6cyclemind – Great and well-done. I know it’s hard to cover an E-Heads original. It’s not the absolute best, but they did a great job compared to other artists who contributed to this album. A nice opening track for an album!
Magasin by Paolo Santos – It just proves that it’s better if he sticks to acoustic rather than going the rock route.
Spolarium by Imago – Magnificent! It feels like the song is truly theirs. Aia de Leon makes it look and sound so fresh. I can even say it’s better than the original!
Overdrive by Barbie Almalbis – She made a cute version of it. But a "cute version" isn't really needed when reviving an E-Heads hit. It’s not that great, but it’s okay.
With A Smile by South Border – R&B version. Not too bad, but not that good either.
Tikman by Sugarfree – Same with Imago, they completely owned the song, even though people say Ely and Ebe sound somewhat alike. Even without seeing them, I can feel that they really enjoyed singing the song.
Ligaya by Kitchie Nadal – The song isn't really appropriate for a female singer. At first, it’s cute to hear her giggle at the line "Ilang ahit pa ba ang aahitin," but if you hear it all the time, you'll get sick of it.
Torpedo by Isha – A very unique rendition. Jazz version—astig!
Superproxy 2K6 by Francis M. & Ely Buendia – This version is much more energizing than the original! Ely tries to rap. It's great to listen to, especially when you're sleepy but need to stay awake.
Huwag Kang Matakot by Orange and Lemons – This is a song I like sometimes and dislike at other times—I'm not consistent with it. It might have been better if they stuck with Mcoy on lead vocals for this track.
Pare Ko by Sponge Cola – A fresher version. I don’t like the "tang ina" part, though, because Yael sounds hesitant saying it.
Huwag Mo Nang Itanong by M.Y.M.P. – Pop/acoustic version. Ayos! One of my favorites.
Hard To Believe by Cueshé – Lame version; they should have chosen a better band to perform this. They slur/eat some of the words.
Alkohol by Radioactive Sago Project – Okay lang.
Maling Akala by Brownman Revival – Reggae version. At first, I actually thought this was their original song!
Ang Huling El Bimbo by Rico J. Puno – When you hear this version, you'll just end up wanting the original.
Para Sa Masa by Various Artists – Astig!
Overall: This is a great album for the youth who aren't very familiar with the Heads. Since popular bands and artists covered the tracks, younger listeners will probably appreciate it more. But for those who love the Eraserheads, of course, they will stick to the original versions. 8.5 stars.
Next up among legendary artists is APO Hiking Society. I knew them mainly as entertainers and hosts on the noontime show Isang Linggo nAPO Sila, so I didn't know much about their musical legacy. When I heard various artists cover their songs on Kami nAPO Muna, I recognized a few tracks, but I didn't know they were originally by APO!
Pumapatak Ang Ulan by Parokya ni Edgar – It feels like they just sang it because they had to. But in fairness, it's relaxing.
Yakap Sa Dilim by Orange and Lemons – Very soothing. I love the style they brought to this track. One of my favorites on the album. Perfect for late-night listening to help you fall asleep.
Doobidoo by Kamikazee – I don’t know the original, but I can say this is very Kamikazee! A punk/rock/metal sound paired with an APO song equals an excellent rendition. Jay’s voice isn't perfect, but as the lyrics say, "Di naman kailangan boses mo'y maganda, basta may konting tono, madaling makanta."
Bawat Bata by The Dawn – Really good. They injected their own signature sound.
Awit Ng Barkada by Itchyworms – I think all of them sang on the track. If we're talking pure vocal quality, it's not super polished, but the overall vibe and sound are fine.
Batang-Bata Ka Pa by Sugarfree – They are always so good at covering songs. I wonder why!
Nakapagtataka by Sponge Cola – I've heard M.Y.M.P.'s and Rachel Alejandro's versions of this song, so I know it as a heavy ballad with some belting (birit) on the side. I was quite surprised that a rock band covered it. Their version is okay—not super outstanding, but it proves they can tackle any style.
Bakit Ang Babae by Sandwich – Sounds like it could be their own original song!
Ewan by Imago – So enjoyable and cheerful to listen to! Even though the song isn't typically meant for a female singer with the line "Bakit nga ba ganyan, dalaga'y 'di alam," she pulled it off effortlessly. Another one of my favorites!
Pag-ibig by Kitchie Nadal – Her voice sounds a bit sleepy here. Okay lang.
When I Met You by Barbie Almalbis – My favorite song on the album! She sang it so beautifully.
Panalangin by Moonstar88 – I’ve heard lots of versions of this song, but in fairness, they didn't disappoint. I think this is the best one!
Blue Jeans by Rocksteddy – N/A... I don’t like the band,
so I always skip this song, same with...Paano by Shamrock – N/A...
Anna by Top Suzara – Ayos! He has evolved. I used to know him for pure ballads, but now he's gone full rock! You wouldn't even guess it's Top singing.
Di Na Natuto by Sound – When I listen to this song, I keep picturing Gary V. The track is so heavily associated with him that you can't get his version out of your head, making any added tweaks feel unnecessary.
Kabilugan Ng Buwan by Drip – My favorite track! The sound and vocals are so good. ASTIG!!
Kumot At Unan by Boldstar – Pretty good, too. Ayos!!
Overall: A solid album for the youth of today who have little knowledge of APO's legacy. Giving them a tribute is well-deserved, considering they created music for nearly 30 years before taking a break, whereas the members of E-Heads are still active and making music in their respective bands. 7 rock stars.
0 comments:
Post a Comment