Sunday, August 26, 2012

My Silence is Deafening

"Sound the alarm 
What we have built is gone
Our battle has just begun
Mayday! Mayday!"


My "new" office mates perceives me as a quiet, serious and boring lady. I don't really talk to them because I don't have any good things to say to them.  If they let me talk they will hear lots of "bleeps" in my sentences. haha.

 I feel like sometimes people expect me to talk and talk about whatever because its the normal thing to do. When someone like my co worker who has to make sarcastic remarks about how quiet I am, it just creates this image about me, and I feel like I have to live up to that image. It just makes me act a certain way, even though I do try to socialize once in a while, people don't realize it and still perceive me to be a certain way.

But in reality I am funny as hell. ask my real friends. they know. Well my friends from my company took sometime to be close to me. Because I really don't talk a lot

In sociology that it's called labeling theory. We are shy around people before we get to know them, therefore they label us as being a shy and quiet person, therefore we act how they expect us to and stay a shy and quiet person around them.




No comments: