Friday, September 14, 2012

Working Class Hero


"I was just guessing at numbers and figures
Pulling the puzzles apart"

I am working for only 10 months but I experienced 3 different jobs. I was a data analyst for sometime, payroll associate and now payroll/hr support.

My first position was data analyst. The most boring job I know. Until now I can't see the need for such position. All I did was read an executive's bio and paste it somewhere on their database. I never experienced being stressed but I never experienced sense of fulfillment.My work was very easy for me. Just read their bio and paste it somewhere or just merge duplicate data.  I stayed being in that position for almost 3 months until my manager talked to me and said that "I am not fit to be a data analyst"   I was depressed for about... 3 minutes while she was talking to me. She immediately said that I could move to different department since I am an "okay" employee. 

I was interviewed by the manager of the payroll department and lo and behold I became a payroll associate. For the first 3 weeks or so, what I did was to staple the 2316. Of course my pride kicks in. I graduated from an exclusive school, I earned hundreds of units and now all I did was to staple and cut the damn 2316. But I said to myself even actors became an extra in their acting career. Even rock stars had a dozen audience in their gigs at some point. 

Then after 3 months my new boss talked to me and said that i will be with  the company's client. They said good things to me blah blah... those things are nothing to me because it is not in monetary value and it means i will be separated with my freaking friends. I can't do anything but to accept the challenge. I was transferred to another dimension and this time I am a payroll/hr support. 

Me an hr? what the?? I don't like talking to people.. I don't like explaining things... I AM NOT FIT TO BE AN HR... but see I am doing this for 4 months the longest among those positions I mentioned. 

What I  really wanted to be is to be a web designer. I wanted to deal with collor pallets, flash animations, css javascripts than computing someone's salary, counting their leave balances, and signing their clearances.  

I am still young... Have tons of energy... I could be the person I wanted to be... I promise that...



No comments: