Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Old and New Favorites

This post is still related to H&M close the loop event. 
So I was with my brother when we went to Megamall to watch the H & M Close the loop event. We went to see Up Dharma Down. The last time went to Megamall was to see who else, but still UDD. But we were late. We arrived around 5 pm and they were to perform around 4 pm. Buti na lang naabutan namin ang “Oo”. 
Anyway, we left earlier this time, afraid that we might be late again. We left around 3 pm for a 4 pm gig. Lo and be hold, when we were already inside MRT, there was no signal or whatever so we have to wait for some time until they will resume the operation. Of course we can’t wait. Damn you MRT! Why now? So we decided to take refund of my stored value cards and walk for how many meters to ride the bus. We ride on a non-air conditioned bus because, well we have no choice.
So to make our travel story short, we arrived around 4 30 and I think they were just performing their 2nd song. Our goal is to be in front, but of course we were late, so we can’t do that. 
Up Dharma Down never fails to amaze me. The sound was very clear, not “wasak” or “basag” sound like an ordinary band sound like. I think that’s because they have a personal sound engineer at the side maneuvering technical stuff. Other bands didn’t have this kind of sound control so their sound was not as crystal clear as UDD.
They sang “Oo”, “Tadhana”, “Indak”, “All the Good things” and “Sana”. Armi was funny in between songs. She was making jokes.
I will never ever get tired of watching UDD. I just can’t. 
Maybe the biggest surprise of the night, well, one of… is The Cheats. Prior with this event, I never heard their music. Because, well as I mentioned before I’m old and stuck with the 2004-2010 bands and has no energy to listen to new bands. Thanks to H & M I was able to see and know the Cheats. As of this writing their debut album is played repeatedly on my Ipod and Spotify. 
The bad thing was unlike UDD whose sound was so clear, the guitars and other instruments  of The Cheats were overpowering the sweet voices of Candy and Saab and Jim’s rocking voice. I can’t understand the lyrics. But what’s good was their energy. They were so engaging and I know that the songs seems good.Well Ely Buendia is the producer of their album, nonetheless so they must be really good. They kept moving and moving around the stage, head banging, and just well, rocking it out for a lack of better term on what they are actually doing.
As you can see in the pictures, they are moving around or closing their eyes like they really feel the song they were singing.
In between songs thy were doing their spiels in a coño way but it was quite cute and funny. Even though I never understood the lyrics during their live gig, I downloaded their songs (legally!) and they are actually good. I am loving “Summer” and “Newspaper Girl”. I am just hoping that next time when I will see them again live, the sound is better because their songs are worth the time to listen to.
So if you have time, please listen to The Cheats. They are worth your memory space on your Ipod and unleash your head banging skills.

No comments: