My brother and I went to Megamall to watch the H&M Close the Loop event, mainly to see Up Dharma Down. The last time we went to Megamall was to see—who else?—UDD. But back then, we were late. We arrived around 5 PM when they were scheduled to perform at 4 PM. Buti na lang we still caught “Oo.”
Anyway, we left earlier this time, afraid that we might be late again. We left around 3 PM for a 4 PM gig. Lo and behold, when we were already inside the MRT, the train lost power/signal so we had to wait for a while before operations resumed. Of course, we couldn’t wait. Damn you, MRT! Why now? So we decided to get a refund on my stored value card and walked a few meters to catch a bus instead. We rode an ordinary (non-aircon) bus because, well, we had no choice.
To make a long story short, we arrived around 4:30 PM, just as they were performing their second song. Our goal was to be right in front, but since we were late, we couldn’t pull it off.




I will never, ever get tired of watching UDD. I just can’t.
Maybe the biggest surprise of the night—well, one of them—was The Cheats. Prior to this event, I had never heard their music. Because, well, as I mentioned before, I’m old, stuck with 2004–2010 bands, and have no energy to listen to new ones. Thanks to H&M, I was able to see and discover The Cheats. As of this writing, their debut album is on repeat on my iPod and Spotify.

The downside was that, unlike UDD, whose sound was so clear, The Cheats' guitars and other instruments overpowered the sweet voices of Candy and Saab, as well as Jim’s rocking vocals. I couldn’t understand the lyrics. But on the bright side, their energy was great! They were so engaging, and I could tell the songs were good. After all, Ely Buendia is their album producer, so they must be really solid. They kept moving around the stage, headbanging, and just—well, rocking out, for lack of a better term!




In between songs, they were doing their spiels in a coño way, but it was actually quite cute and funny. Even though I couldn’t understand the lyrics during their live gig, I downloaded their songs (legally!) afterward, and they are actually so good. I’m currently loving “Summer” and “Newspaper Girl.” I’m just hoping that next time I see them live, the sound will be better because their songs are definitely worth listening to.
So if you have time, please give The Cheats a listen! They are worth the memory space on your iPod and will definitely unleash your headbanging skills.
0 comments:
Post a Comment