Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Pupil version 2015

I’m getting old. The last concert I’ve been to was the New Year Countdown at Resort’s World Manila where Ely Buendia was so close to us. Approximately half a meter away and a 3 feet stage. 
I never thought that I will be so much closer to him. Thanks to H & M, the distance was shockingly half a ruler and maybe a 12 inch stage. As what Ely said this was the closest they have been while performing or in a gig. I was so close that I could count his white hair… so close I can read their setlist. 


To be honest I was a little bit disappointed when I saw the set list. Most are from their new album “Zilch”. If they released this when I’m still in college, I already purchased it and I can sing along with the band. But no, I am already in an age where quarter-life crisis is predominantly popular. Sayang, I can’t show him that I know the songs. We made eye contact pa naman.


The first two songs were “Firewall” and “Why”. The third song was 20/20 from Limters of the Infinity Pool. At last I know the song and was able to sing along. Next was “Resonate”. Then some group of teen age boys were requesting for “Monobloc” from Wildlife album. Ely joked that Jerome Velasco (their new guitarist replacing Yan Yuzon) is still learning their songs. So I blurted out “Nasaan Ka” from Beautiful Machines. He said “Yun. Yung mas madali na lang”. Haaay… it was surreal. It was beautifully sang. I sang along, and surprisingly almost all of the people knew the song. Ely maybe became happy to know that people still know songs from Pupil (and not just his old band). Then maybe he was hyped up, someone requested for Magasin. He joked “Mag aasin?”. So yes, he performed it with a different flavor. Different from the Eheads, solo Ely Buendia style. It’s slow but still with heavy riiffs of Pupill.  Ang ganda lang. Magasin is the song that I didn’t like at first but just grew on me. I really liked the version of Ely when he sings this on his solo gig. At some point he said “Kayo na lang kaya kumanta” because we were all singing we beat the sound of his voice or even his guitars. Ang saya lang. 


Because he was so close and it’s my first time to use my Canon S 140 in taking pictures during concerts, I am practicing using aperture, shutter speed and ISO or whatever. haha. Anyway, some were requesting for “Hey Jude”, “Hey Jay”, Ely gamely do the intro riffs if those songs. Then the they also requesting other songs from his old band. I like to say“Please stop it!” since Ely is quite in a good mood so don’t ruin it. He already played “Magasin” and I can feel that he is really in a good happy mood. I think that every time he is with Pupil, he is more comfortable with them. Unlike being a solo artist (he sends really different vibe when he is performing alone), and the Oktaves, I can really see the passion and happiness when he is with Pupil. It’s his comfort zone. After that nostalgic songs, they performed new songs like “Cheap” and “Out of Control”, At the end, he throw his guitar pick while saying “Sa inyo na lang”. I don’t know if I’m imagining but he’s looking at me. Sayang! I almost got it, pero there was a taller guy eh. So yun, I told you, iba yung vibe niya that day. The happiest performance I’ve seen him during their gigs.
Wendell Garcia, the happiest drummer boy ..but not seen in this picture


                                Dok Sergio fixing his effects


                                           his signature pose


Ely wearing polka dot polo while showing his white hair…still looks good.


The disadvantage of being close is not getting a complete band shot 



Haaay… with this gig I rekindled my love affair with the band music and scene.
Thank you H&M for the giving us literal  “CLOSE” the loop experience.

No comments: