Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Heaven knows I’m miserable now

“In my life why do Ismile to people I much rather kick in the eye?”
I am an introvert since birth. When the doctor slapped mybutt I didn’t react. They thought I am not alive. They slapped my butt again,but this time it was more painful.  So of course I cried. I gave what they want.
Anyway, fast forward to today, who would have thought that I am now working in HR Department as a payroll assistant. How the hell did I land the job? I didn’t apply that’s for sure.
I applied for Data Analyst position around 2011. I stayed for 3 months since my manager said I am not fit for that position. If you will think about it, that position really fits an introvert like me. You will just surf the net, cut, copy, paste… that’s it. You will do that for around 5 to 6 hours since 3 hours is allotted for lunch, morning and afternoon breaks and day dreaming.
Upon checking my resume and my perfect math test, she suggested that I can transfer to the Payroll Department or IT Dept. (since  in my resume I put that I made a Payroll System). So yeah, I was transferred to Payroll Dept. as a Payroll Processor. Another job that really fits an introvert like me. I stayed in that position for 3 months and then I was the “lucky”(?)  among others  to be sent to the client. They need a Payroll Support because their Payroll Processing is crumbling. So I was sent to save their payroll and timekeeping dilemma.
I didn’t know that they are sending me to HR Department of an American IT Company. The worst idea ever. Well of course at first. Being an HR practitioner is the last position in my “What do you want to be when you grow up?” list.  Being in HR means talking to people a lot. I mean a lot. I  diagnose myself having social phobia, social anxiety , asocial or even being autistic.
Too much human interaction is really hard for me.  Who would have thought that introverts and shy type  like me will find a niche in a department where talking and being around stranger is a must.
Today, I am working for almost 3 years as Payroll Assistant in the HR Department. Just recently, I am tasked to orient new hires about our Bi—weekly Payroll schedule and using our Timekeeping system.   I must say my first try was so bad. But when I did it again last week, I think it was better.
So hello there introverts! you can take a job that’s ultimately for extroverts or people person. You just have to try.
PS. My subject doesn’t connect with this post. I just used it since my opening line is from The Smiths song. This post is about the irony of life. (naks!)

No comments: