Saturday, May 19, 2018

The XXperience

image
I woke up feeling so excited for the day. I will be watching The XX! OH MY GOD. I have been watching local bands since college, but most of thetime at the malls where it is free. I can count in my fingers the times I watched a concert that I bought tickets. 
This is also the first time I’ll be watching an international artist. Maybe not  actually first, I think I’ve seen some international artist in Glorietta or somewhere. But it wasn’t something I really like. Then last 2013, The XX came here. I was really planning to go, it was near my office. But it’s Tuesday, and it’s payroll so I can’t go.
Fast forward to 2018, I bought tickets Patron C at World trade, near at my
home. So everything is falling into place, it’s Wednesday, it’s not my
payroll day. So I went alone, and didn’t eat or brought a drink. I
though they will sell food at the event. But no, only beers were
available. So I was standing near the bleacher.  It should start at
8:00 pm, but due to some reasons, they started 40 minutes late. 
image
They started with “Dangerous”. Though I am not familiar with it, it’s upbeat, loud and a great way to start the show. Then next is "Islands". At last I know the song. And I really had goosebumps. It’s quite different from their new sound. It was so simple but with unique arrangements. It is about fully committing oneself to that person.  “Say Something Loving”, a song about feeling an infatuation over someone but not really sure if their feeling is something real.   
Then “Crystalised”. This is the first song I learned from them. I was sooooo happy and grooving with them.  The crowd was moving too. Oliver did some short spiels. His voice was so unique. Before playing “Reunion”, he said that “I can tell really this is going to be a very good one. Thank you so much for being here, it means the world to us, so we’ve done something special. This next song, this is the first time we’ve played it in five years.” 
Then “A violent Noise”. A song about a situation where everything seems too much and you can’t help but “silence the noise”.  Then “I Dare you”. It’s one of their single. Milly Bobby Brown was there at their music video. Another catchy and upbeat song. You will just groove with it. Romy said before playing “Performance” , “thank you for singing along with us, that was really beautiful, this next song means a lot to me and I’m gonna be playing it on my own,” It’s a song that’s very special to her, so she sang it by herself. No special effects. Just her enchanting voice and guitar. 
“Replica”, a powerful duet about resisting or repeating their parents mistakes. Then Oliver said “Can you keep a secret Manila? You’ve been my favorite this tour!”. I know he might say it with any country they toured.  But for some reasons, I think he is saying the truth. No BS.  Then “VCR”, it  starts with simple xylophone like sound. It’s one of my favorite songs they performed from their set.
image
Oliver also said that “This is a place where you can leave anything that is causing you pain at home and just enjoy yourself here.”. I can’t help but let out my emotions for a bit there. I’ve been going through some stuff, and by saying that meant a lot to me. 
Jamie wasn’t left behind, he had his own moment by playing “Loud Places” and “Intro”. “On Hold” is no doubt a crowd favorite. I don’t like dance music that much but with this song, and with how the crowd is grooving with it, I c an’t help but move along with them.
image
Before playing their last song, “Angels”,  Romy ended it with a lovely speech, “We are very far away from home, but you’ve made us feel welcome and it means a lot to us. I don’t want to repeat myself but thank you so much.” “We always wanted you to know, that every time you see us play, is that we appreciate each and every single one of you for being here.” 
image
I can see them, but can’t really see their faces. I love the light
effects they were doing. It matches every beat of the songs.
Romy’s voice is so soft but seems so pure. At the end when she is
about to speak, people were just cheering for her.
After the concert, I was blown away and was so hang over with them
that I kept on watching their videos, interviews and anything about
them.
I was able to learn why I gravitated towards them. They are tagged as
the shyest band in UK. They are introvert like me. They are not
that great playing their instruments that is why their sound is simple.
There is no doubt that friendship really matters when being in a band. I can see it when Oliver looks at Romy and vice-versa.  When they sing it also seems they are singing to each other. 
This is no doubt, the best concert I’ve been to. Nice crowd, great venue, awesome light effects and a powerful performance by Oliver Sim, Romy Croft and Jamie XX.
Photos grabbed from When In Manila site.

No comments: