Friday, May 25, 2018

The noise of Citizen Jake

Before watching Citizen Jake, I told myself I need to see other works of Mike De Leon. Batch ‘81, is one of the best films I’ve ever seen. I’ve seen Sister Stella L. Then I’ve stumbled upon Kisapmata, few hours before watching CJ, and understand why it’s a famous film. Being shown in the 80s, it opened us with new ideas and new concepts that were never tackled in mainstream movies.


Gear with enthusiasm and thirst of watching another great Mike De Leon film, I watched Citizen Jake alone at Glorietta. Well I am not that alone since I saw familiar faces. I saw St. Scho sisters lead by Sister Mary John Mananzan. Sister Mary John is a famous activist nun.


I am quite sad that the theater is not that full. If I am not mistaken, I am one of the youngest inside the cinema and I am like 28 years old. So, it’s not a good start for the film. Another thing is there seems to be a riff between Mike and Atom Araullo. You may check Citizen Jake’s FB account to know more of Mike’s rants.


People should watch this film. This is Mike’s bravest and most political movie. He still has the “shock value”. He lambasted the Marcoses, Duterte, and almost everyone in politics with an iconic line like “election na naman, new set of ass holes”. A rare instance in a movie nowadays.


Though there are things that I don’t quite get. There are too much things happening around Jake Herrera and his family; Corrupt and violent father and brother, the disappearance of his mother and too much family secrets. Plus, his relationship with his girlfriend, Mandy; a murdered prostitute; local election and his career.


Atom’s portrayal of Jake is a hit and miss. His conversation and some argument scenes seems to be too much rehearsed(mostly when he is with his father and brother). It also looks and sounds unnatural. But the very intense and dramatic scenes like (spoilers ahead) when he learned that Jonie (Adrian Alandy), his best friend, is working with his brother by telling some of his secrets, he is deeply enraged and Atom looks really believable. Another scene is when he learned that his caretakers, Jonie’s parents, know about the disappearance of his mother, you can see the emotions in his eyes.


The other cast members are really commendable. I never thought that Max Collins would be great in this film. Well, I’ve known her for her comedic roles in Bubble Gang, you know the usual hot girl belittling the likes of Diego. You get my point. I can say at some point she is overshadowing Atom. Like when Mandy saw Grace, her mentee, dead. She is beside Atom, but you won’t even notice him. Your eyes will go straight to Max and be carried away by her acting. Max brings tears that Atom can’t do when a scene begs for it. Though one of his last scenes, Atom had a tear falling on his left eye.


Gabby Eigenman and Atom’s scenes are hilarious. I can’t help but laugh at scenes where Gabby always mentions the Godfather. He already mastered the art of being an antagonist. I am irritated just seing his face.


Like Gabby, another antagonist to hate, Cherrie Gil, brings her usual Lavinia Arguelles attitude. She plays as the former lover of Ferdinand Marcos. Now, she is a pimp for different politicians.


The supporting actors like Adrian Alandy, Dina Bonnivie, Teroy Gomez, Lou Veloso also give color to the movie.


Like what people normally says, Filipinos tend to forget the past. Citizen Jake reminds us what happened when we had the strong man rule. Well, we are beginning to experience it again. The Marcoses finding ways to be back; Duterte’s dictator like tendencies; the collateral damages due to fight against drugs. You may not agree with everything that the movie tells you but like Teroy said, “it’s dangerous to be outspoken, but it’s more dangerous to stay quiet. Citizen Jake is the noise Mike De Leon and his team are making. Let’s listen. Let’s think. Let’s try to prevent the history from happening again.


Photos grabbed from Citizen Jake facebook account.

No comments: