Sunday, October 11, 2015

The Break-up Playlist

While using Spotify, I came across with The Break up Playlist OST. There is “With A Smile” cover by Piolo Pascual. Of course I didn’t like it, but label anything with eraserheads or just mention them in any movie or tv shows and it will caught my attention.

So I watched it with a low expectation since I heard it is a rip off of a good movie about music, Begin Again.

Like Begin Again, the first few scenes shows the protagonist in a bar singing with a guitar, both just came from a heartbreak. Then it showed that  Sarah (Trixie) and Piolo (Gino) broken up while inside his car with a line “Do me a favor umalis ka na rin sa buhay ko”. Then they were reunited after breaking up years ago. They are offered to have a reunion concert with the latest IT loveteam. Ok, so they infused it with the Pinoy’s obsession with love teams. Then they showed the back story of Trixie and Gino’s love story.


They first met in music camp. This makes me interested. I daydream of attending the Elements music camp, where almost all of the respected vocalist, guitarist, bassist, songwriters are in one place to teach and interact to aspiring artist. Then Gabby Alipe of Urbandub had a cameo, he is one of the mentors. 


One of the interesting part of the movie is when they are in the music store. They are answering questions using album cover. I don't know if this is an original concept, or some movies already did this, but I really like this idea. When Trixie asked Gino if what he's current feeling, he picked Eraserheads "Sticker Happy" but covered the sticker part. When Trixie answered the same question he picked Cynthia Alexander's "Insomnia and Lullabies" and choose "Comfort with your Strangeness". I'm quite happy to see or that they mention these rare albums in a mainstream movie.


There was a part when Trixie went to a party and familiar faces were there. Yael Yuzon,Ebe Dancel, Tedmark Cruz, Quark Henares and Pochoy Labog. I said "OMG is this for real?" when Pochoy Labog appeared. I said it again when Basti Artardi sang with Sarah Geronimo. There was a part when they were just having a conversation and just hanging out. I think few people got the joke when Quark said "Tracy" instead of Trixie. Of course, Tracy a radio jock, is her girlfriend.


Now with more comparison: Like Mark Ruffalo’s character, Gino is arrogant and aggressive. Keira and Sarah’s hairstyle is kind of the same. Both are unusual pair. Both guys are forcing the girls to join creating a music or band.


Sarah is natural in her acting. But I think she is stereotyped in kind of characters who are shy, good natured and non-alcohol drinker. Piolo on the other hand, I can't see him as a rockstar since his good looks is just different from a rockstar. Though he tried too look maangas or astig.

I didn't like their song interpretations of my former favorite songs, "With a Smile" and "Huwag na Huwag mong Sasabihin". Unlike Begin Again were the theme song "Lost Stars"is really catchy and LSS worthy, I didn't like the original songs of The Break-Up Playlist.

In the end, I think I liked it. Not the best, but they infused it with elements that I really like, rockstars and music. The scenes in movie are the exact scenes that goes in my head when I day dream, just take out  the heart break part.


No comments: