March 29, 2019

I'm drunk I love you


So, okay. I seldom watch Filipino movies. It’s not about being an elitist or whatever—you'll catch my interest when a movie is political or historical. I also love it when a film has a great soundtrack. I loved Ang Nawawala, and I watched The Breakup Playlist simply because so many real musicians were in it.

Then there’s I'm Drunk, I Love You. They used "Burnout" in it, which is one of my all-time favorite songs. That alone was enough advertising for me. They used it because it truly summarizes the entire movie:

“O, kay tagal din kitang minahal...”

Well, seven years to be exact. Carson has been in love with her best friend, Dio, for seven years. But it's an unrequited love.


The story is so simple yet so good—well, maybe that's just for me. The acting is so natural. Plus, the actor who played Gibson in Ang Nawawala [Dominic Roco] plays Jason Ty, Carson's gay best friend. He’s the one who always says “time check” to snap Carson out of her stupidity when it comes to love.

They go to La Union for a music festival. I love the simple, relatable moments that make it feel so realistic—like when they arrive, and Carson and Jason Ty go out for a drink while Dio stays in the hotel room to sleep because he drove for hours. Or when Carson lists all the foolish things she did each year starting from 2008. But the next morning, she sees Dio with "Pathy with an H." Pathy is his ex, and they are trying to rekindle their relationship.

I'm Drunk, I Love You is a tale of two best friends where one falls in love and the other just can’t feel the same way. My favorite scene is when Carson finally tells Dio she loves him. She bargains with herself, wishing Pathy would just stay in the restroom for five minutes so she can look at him and cherish those final moments, knowing that everything will change after that night.

In the end, they visit the bar where they usually hang out, but it’s closed because it’s a Sunday. There is a long silence between them. But when Carson starts to laugh, they begin talking again, and "Burnout" starts playing—drowning out their dialogue so we can't hear what they're saying.

Well, here is their actual conversation according to the creator of the movie:


In the end, I thought there might still be a chance between the two of them. I was confused by the final scene where they were in the car, just being sweet to each other. I wasn't sure if it was a video recorded before or after Carson said "I love you."

But it seems to be a video of their sweet moments from when they were first starting out as friends—especially now that I know what was said during that inaudible conversation.

Carson will move on. Dio doesn’t love her.

0 comments: