Friday, February 23, 2007

The different tune

I bought “Fragmented” and “Fuchsiang Pag-Ibig”. I bought it because it caters different tune. It’s quite relaxing. It is also a break from that ordinary rock sound that I usually hear.

Album Title: Fragmented
Content: 12 tracks plus 3 bonus songs
Label: Terno Recordings
Album Artist: Up dharma down

Review:
Fragmented is an album that is quite different from the albums that I have. Up dharma down’s music is not the usual rock like what most bands today serves us. For me, it’s a jazz, rock and kinda acoustic. I like the melody, sounds, and effects in the album. Armi Millare’s singing style is different. I’m not fond of listening closely to the sounds of the instruments but thanks to them I learned to understand, listen and not underestimate the sound of the instruments. For those who don’t know about up dharma down they are Armi Millare on vocals and keyboards, Paul Yap on bass, Carlos Tanada on guitars and Ean Mayor on drums.
They are independent artist under the Terno Recordings the same record label of radio active sago project.

1) Layag- great song.
2) Maybe- I think it’s their 1st single from this album. At first I didn’t like it because I can’t understand the lyrics. But as soon its getting popular I begin to like it. I also saw the lyrics so I now understand what it means. It means having second of thoughts of making decisions. Like choosing between yes or no.
3) Oo- I really love and like this song. I can understand Armi now. The song basically tells what the girl feels after a break up. Like remembering those days when you are together. Then now he has a new girl. Even though your relationship has ended you it still hurts you when you see him and his new girl. Hay… a really excellent song.
4) Lazy Daisy- I think lazy daisy is a kind of stitch in cross stitching. I just love the effects and the sound of it. In this song I think the sounds stand out the most. Its quite relaxing.
5) We give in sometimes- nice song. Yup… it’s true we give in sometimes.
6) Oo (Remix)- just a remix of the beautiful song oo.
7) Fragmented- the shortest of them all. It is only instrumental. I kinda like it because as I said I love their sounds and effects. It is unique.
8) June- I love the melodies and everything.
9) Sleep talk- one of my favorite from the album. The song is quite hurtful and tagos sa laman. If it happenes to me ay naku ewan ko na lang. its about a guy who talks while he is sleeping. The worst part of it is he says things that he denies the song makes me sad, but I really love it.
10) Broken Mirrors and Screaming Turtles- another instrumental… bagay siya when you’re relaxing.
11) Malikmata- no comment. Really great!!
12) Pag-agos- another tagalong song. Up dharma down’s style is really great.
13) The world is our playground and we will always be home- Quite long title but it’s really meaningful. Just read between the lines.
Packaging: hindi siya nakalagay sa cd case pero mahal pa rin. I thought mga 250 yun pala 299. pero infairness worth it naman kasi 15 track siya.
Overall: I’m speechless. Astig. Another album to have. up dharma down may not be the most famous band but I know they’re one of the best that needs to be heard. 4 ½ rock stars.


Album Title: Fuchsiang Pag-ibig


Content: 12 tracks
Label: Universal Records
Album Artist: Silent Sanctuary

Fuchsiang Pag-Ibig

Silent Sanctuary is my newest favorite local band. So when I heard they will release their debut album, I buy agad. Why not? With the 12 track album and full of excellent songs you would definitely ask for more. If you don’t know them they are compose ofcellist Anjo Inacay, violist Jett Ramirez, and violinist Chino David. they heavily skew the with bassist Paolo Legaspi, drummer Allen Calixto, and guitarist/vocalist Sarkie Sarangay.
If you really don’t know them then you are missing out something. Their music is rock-orchestral plus their own silent sanctuary style. They have always catchy chorus and really simple topics that people can relate to but again with their own personal style. This album is like a compilation of love story. It also has different situations about love like falling in love, breaking, moving on and crushing on somebody.

1) Rebound- the song that let me thinking of buying the album. It’s a love at first hearing the song. Really relaxing but will make you sad for a while because of adding the line “re-rebound mo lang pala ako”. I really love it and it will be added to the list of songs that I will not get tired of listening to.
2) Sandali Lang- the band goes slower. It’s a ballad and it’s another heart-breaking song.
3) Ikaw lamang- a perdect “ligaw” song. They talked about the happiness and the feeling in the beginning of a relationship. It’s like saying sweet words or for a Filipino term “pang bobola” but you know this words can make any girl’s heart melt in happiness.
4) Kundiman- uses clever wordplay on the title (kun’ di man tayo). The lyric of the song is like my poetry. Hahaha. it’s describing his personal feelings to something. Is it the continuation of “ikaw lamang”? this is what happened after all the sweetness, happy memories they have. They aren’t meant to be.
5) Ingat ka- I love the chorus part of the song. I love the lyrics and the tone of Sarkie’s voice pati na din yung sound. It’s beautiful. Maybe continuation of “kundiman”. Hehe. You go on separate ways but of course even if you’re already not together there’s some feelings pa rin with that person.
6) Pink 5ive- it’s actually about pink 5ive and I think she is a girl. It’s a fun song. Medyo upbeat ito. Quite great.
7) For tonight- first English song. So they’ve parted ways already but of course there’s a feeling parin. The song is about thinking someone in the night. Why night? Because its more relaxing, more peaceful and it’s dark. Hehehe. But you know like me I can think of things, problems, love ones at night than at the morning.
8) Parol- parol is a lantern that we display during Christmas time. Instead of light as the “light” of their life they used parol because I think it’s a December affair or if not they don’t want that their love will be just on the month of December.
9) Kismet- they are back with an English song. a piano ballad that steers close to pinoy r&b territory… a lot of people will probably like this coz its sacharinely sweet but its the least silentsanctuary-sounding song on the record. Mala south border.
10) Nagtahan- another up beat song. Yung first sound pa lang it’s like eraserheads. Yung sound pati yung lyrics. Great song. I love the line “sana ako na lang ang pumirma sa mga liham” very meaningful yet beautiful.
11) Summer Song- of course about having fun during summer. It’s fun song. I also like and love this song. I ove the line “sana ako na lang ang pumirma sa mga liham” very meaningful yet
12) 14- why 14? 14 ba ang naging girlfriend nila. Another English song.

Packaging: I love the black and pink theme. Well because that’s my favorite color.
Overall: More!! They should include more songs. It’s really a cool album and if you’re a band fanatic like me have this because Silent Sanctuary and their sound is really different from other bands. Astig maging iba. So 4 out of 5 rock stars.

No comments: