Okay, let me clear this up: this whole list is according to me, so expect that the bands are mostly from the 1990s.

Let me first define the words I used:

  • Bands: Meaning it’s not only rock bands—pwedeng R&B, pop, whatever, basta Pinoy.

  • Best: Meaning what I think is the best among the rest.

Again, para lang sa akin ito.

10) Side A – I just like their songs like “Forevermore,” “Will I Ever?”, and many others. Imagine being around for over 20 years—that’s really something! Konti na lang din 'yung bands na katulad nila, so ayos!


9) Imago – From nothing to something. From mellow to danceable songs. I think Aia de Leon has a really powerful voice—she tops my list for female band vocalists. She is also great at songwriting. I really admire “Akap,” “Sundo,” and “Taning.”

8) Up Dharma Down & UrbandubSila kasi 'yung kakaiba.

Let’s start with Up Dharma Down. UDD's sound is fresh compared to the rest. 'Yung tugtugan din nila ay iba, because you won't see Armi dancing or doing headstands—you'll just see her sitting, playing the keyboard, and singing songs wholeheartedly. Basta, Up Dharma Down has a certain magic that I can’t explain. A total astig band.

As for Urbandub, for me, they are one of the best rock bands, at talagang may ibubuga. They really have hard-hitting songs like “A New Tattoo,” “Frailty,” “An Endless Silent Whisper,” and one of my absolute favorites, “First of Summer.”













7) Parokya ni Edgar – One of the most influential bands to date. Known as the “Pambansang Banda ng Bayan,” they really have something unique to offer us Filipinos. They are known for their funny antics, catchy songs, and powerful stage presence. This band will go a long way—mind you, they are already in their 14th year in the music scene! Kudos to the band, walang patid ang paggawa nila ng hits. They have love songs for the masa such as “Harana,” “Halaga,” and many more. They also experiment with different genres, like the ballad vibe of “Your Song” and the R&B/rap style of “The Yes Yes Show.”

6) Rivermaya – After the “Pambansang Banda ng Bayan,” ngayon naman ay ang “Banda ng Bayan.” Although I don’t know how long they will be dubbed like that, because the heart and soul of the band, Rico Blanco, already left them. I consider him 50% of the band. So now, the band is looking for Rico's replacement. I don’t think it’s a bad idea, because Rico also came from that same process—auditioning!

Anyways, patriotic and nationalistic ang dating nila with songs such as “Awit ng Kabataan,” “Isang Bandila,” “Posible,” and many more. I think he comes second to Bamboo when it comes to vocals. Rico has a great voice, too. Well, maybe the one who replaces him will be even better. Abangan ang susunod na kabanata…




5) South BorderGaling talaga nila, because even though papalit-palit sila ng vocalist, they still make it. From Brix Ferraris to Luke Mejares, down to Duncan and Vince. Why can they still make it in the music scene? Because the heart and soul of the band, Jay Durias, is still there to keep the band going. I think they are currently abroad to pursue their international dream.

They are known for their love songs such as “Love of My Life,” “Kahit Kailan,” “Rainbow,” and ang dami pa talaga. They also have that R&B and rap vibe in tracks like “The Show” and “Sweet.” I hope they will come back here to the country para i-share pa ang mga songs nila sa kanilang mga kababayan.






4) Bamboo – I now think that Bamboo MaƱalac has the most powerful voice of all the male vocalists sa mga rock band ngayon. Ang Bamboo kasi ay parehong-pareho lang sa live at sa CD, which I think is really rare for rock bands. May pagka-nationalistic din 'yung mga songs nila like “Noypi,” “Hallelujah,” and even 'yung pinili nilang i-cover na “Tatsulok.” What I don’t like about them is, para sa akin, parang hindi sila approachable...
3) Juan Dela Cruz Band – Honestly, I don’t know much about them. I read in a magazine that this band is considered the best Pinoy band of all time. I beg to disagree—sorry, guys! Well, maybe they were around in the 1970s, so hindi ko talaga sila inabot.

As for their music, I only know a few songs by them, such as “Ang Himig Natin,” “Beep Beep,” and “Balong Malalim.” Let me just clear this up again: I started liking the E-Heads around 2005, which means that during the years when I was discovering music, I was open to different artists and bands. I seldom heard Juan Dela Cruz Band’s songs, which is why hindi ko sila naging favorite.

So why did I put them in the No. 3 spot? It’s because a lot of people say they are, so why not agree with them?




2) APO Hiking Society – I only learned their songs when the “Kami nAPO Muna” tribute album was launched. And nakakagulat nga, because some songs like “Panalangin” and “Pumapatak ang Ulan” actually came from them! They are one of the best because they opened up the music scene again during their time. Honestly, they have such great and catchy songs that we Filipinos really love. Urr… wait, is APO a band? Basta, okay na 'yan…

Now, the best Pinoy band for me is… drum roll, please…

1) Eraserheads – Why? The fact that I know and can still hear their songs even though they have already broken up is really something else.

I will tell the story of how I started liking them again. When I was 15—so mga 2005—I fell in love with music. I always listened to the radio, watched music videos, went to gigs, etc., and this band really caught my attention because kahit saan ka magpunta, maririnig mo sila. Sa jeep, sa radio, sa videoke, sa mall, sa school… all over! And ang matindi doon, they were already disbanded!

They aren't just the best because of that, but also because they accidentally created the soundtrack of our lives. In their gigs, they were laid-back (as seen on YouTube)—just like their songs. Parang marinig mo lang 'yung kanta at boses ni Ely Buendia, solb na. And another fact: Ely's voice wasn't even exceptionally good (aminado siya!). Another fact: back then, hindi pa sila ganun kagwapo, pero ang daming nahuhumaling sa kanila (aminado sila ulit na hindi sila gwapo!). And of course, the fact that they went Gold on the 1st day, Platinum on the 2nd day, and multi-Platinum in just 1 week is the reason why they are the best for me. No one has ever done that, as far as I know.

The songs that I will really never get tired of listening to are from the Heads—like “With A Smile,” “Ang Huling El Bimbo,” “Butterscotch,” and I think almost lahat ng kanta, basta sa kanila!

, ,

3 Responses so far.

  1. Rodel says:

    1. Where is Asin? It should belong to top 3.

    2. Juan De La Cruz band should be ahead of APO.

    3. Rivermaya belongs to Top 5.

    4. VST & Company, Hotdog, Cinderella, Boyfriend, Banyuhay ni Heber, and After Image belong to Top 10.

    5. Rizal Underground should be considered too above the uppity bands like Imago.


    In SUMMARY, the Greatest REAL Pinoy Bands of All Time, according to ranking, are:

    1. Juan Dela Cruz Band.
    2. Asin
    3. APO
    4. Eraserheads
    5. Rivermaya
    6. VST & Co.
    7. Parokya ni Edgar
    8. After Image
    9. Hotdog
    10. Boyfriend

    Runner-ups:

    11. Maria Cafra
    12. Yano
    13. Banyuhay ni Heber
    14. Joey Ayala at Ang Bagong Lumad
    15. Cinderella
    16. Tito, Vic & Joey
    17. Hagibis
    18. Rizal Underground
    19. Teeth
    20. True Faith
    21. Cueshe
    22. Hagibis
    23. Hale
    24. Sugarfree
    25. Hagibis

  2. Rodel says:

    No. 25 should be South Border.

    Let's ask our selves. Side-A only captured the minds of "elistang" crowd of the 1990s. It wasn't able to popularize and immortalize one Tagalog song that could be considered as its signature song. The voice of its vocalist sucks, trying to copy of Vic Sotto's manila sound tunes of the late 70s.

  3. Rodel says:

    Oops. I forgot.

    Thank you for doing this. We have to give honors to our legendary Pinoy Artists, not just bands, but to all greatest OPM artists (group, duo, individual singer-songwriter, singer, etc.) who have contributed to the wealth of the OPM Greats that are known today.

    Cheers!