Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Wild Life

Album Title: Wild Life
Label: Sony BMG
Album Artist: Pupil
Content: 12 tracks
Price: 285 bucks

Review:
“Wild Life” is the 2nd album of Pupil. The album kicks off with “Fin” with Dianne Ventura singing on that song. A 1:21 minutes long. Wonder why so short. She improved with her singing style. I think the song is for Ely were we all know suffered heart attack early last year. If Ely wrote “Dianetic” for her now it’s her time to sing and write a song for him. I like the line “I found the missing piece in you at last”. I hope I will find the missing piece to complete me. Anyways very ironic kasi 1st song then ang title Fin. Then “Matador”. I like the drum beats and Diane’s extra at the last part. Yeah!! “Monobloc”. Medyo nakaka intrigue yung line na “ililigtas sa mga buwaya”. If I’m not mistaken crocodiles pang metaphor sa taong selfish. Wonder who Ely is pertaining the line to. maganda yung message ng song it’s facing the future with your loved one. Si ely ang nagsulat so I assume that in the song he faced different problems with his life and perhaps love life din (nakita ko sa song) and how lucky Ely is. “ano pa ang hahanapin lahat na ay sa akin” then “Here I go again”. Ang lupet ng bagskan ng instruments. Rock na rock I should say. Despite what happened Ely is here again performing. Then “Talon” by Yan. Catchy siya unlike yung songs niya from the 1st album. And ito yung pinaka favorite ko from his songs. he proves that he could be the vocalist. O.k. yung voice niya pati yung songwriting pwede na talaga siyang mag front man of a band. Dumidikit sa utak ko yung lines and yung tono. “Sumasabay” by Dok and Day Cabuhat is my least favorite song from others. Maybe because I love “Dulo ng Dila” so much that I wanted him to write a song like that. but of course hindi pwedeng puro ganun. “Animal Lover” nung nariinig ko parang Mongols ba ito? Then “Teacher’s Pet” I like the idea of letting Eon sings at the last part. ang cute!!! Yung song I could say is a very child friendly song. madali lang din mamemorize. I heard sabi nila marami silang fans na kids so ayos to. “Sala” by Pupil. I really like this sooooo much!! yung song is about the reality that “mundo ay puno ng sala”. Then “Disconnection Notice” wala… LUPET!! Ely really knows what a good song is or how to create one. Ang lupet kasi kakaiba yung idea na magsulat tungkol sa pag di bayad ng kuryente or anything. Pero may iba pang meaning yung song. parang whether you like it or not parang kailangan mong gawin mga bagay bagay. Pagkatapos ng very upbeat song nagpaka slow naman si Ely with “Bato”. Ely is flexible and versatile. He can do anything that people surely like. Then “Set Me Apart”. Back to the, if I could say normal sound of Pupil.


The album once again is very good. Although at first I told to myself parang sayang ata pera ko. Pero when I give it a try malupet talaga. Yung theme maybe some are ordinary pero nalagyan nila ng twist or added the Pupil style. Ngayon medyo na de-determine ko na yung sound nila. Wala na yung E-heads sound like some people say tungkol sa 1st album. Yung Mongols medyo nandun pa rin. There’s nothing wrong since parang Mongols parin less Bogs and Jerome. Pero konti lang din. I also realize that ely really knows what songs people will love. Like now they are out with “Sala” as their single yun yung isa sa mga songs na medyo crowd friendly plus “Disconnection Notice”. Pero kahit meron siyang ability na ganun hindi niya nillubos lubos. And that’ what I like about them they are here not really because of popularity but because they want just to play and share their music.

W
ho will like it?People that are open-minded about music.Best among the rest:“Sala”, “Disconnection Notice” for it’s up beat and disco feel, “Teacher’s Pet” and “Monobloc”.

Album Sleeve:
I didn’t like it that much unlike on “Beautiful Machines” but the songs occupies what it lacks.

Rating:
4 rock stars out of 5

No comments: