Friday, May 22, 2009

Working-class Heroes

Filipinos did it again… and again…

I am not really watching Randy Jackson’s America’s Next Best Dance Crew because I’m not into dancing. But I was able to watch the final episode. Jabbowackeez, one of the finalists is composes of 3 Filipinos out of 6members.
In the picture you could see they are wearing mask ala Phantom of Opera while dancing. Maybe that’s one of the reasons why they won. But nonetheless they are really good. America’s Next Best Dance Crew is like American Idol because there are three judges that will criticize you but the people will still decide on who they think is the best. Filipinos are really creative and talented no one could contest in to that.

The Pacquiao-Hatton match is implausible. Who would think that the match will end at round 2? Much has been said about how great Hatton is. My dad said that they just fooled us. He said Hatton is not really great fighter he and his company just want to make money. It could be true because win or loose you will get a hefty million dollars.
Pacquiao won and I think he has no choice but to win. He is a working class hero indeed. I am really stunned to see famous Hollywood actors supporting him. I think he said that he will retire soon. Honestly, I think his health really needs that. But we all know that he can’t retire. I heard someone said that the only reason why he is proud to be a Filipino is because of Pacquaio. I can’t blame him. I think we are in need of another Pacquiao because he is not getting younger. We are in search for another hero. Being named as the greatest boxer of all time by a sport extraordinaire…. It is really something else…. He is a Filipino… and everyone knows he is… and I’m proud to be one.

I know that last Sunday all of us are watched the match in different ways. Like there is a live feed at Solar Sports but only the rich people could afford that. Some watch it live; some watch it at restos and gyms while a large amount just stayed at home. While watching the match we are bombarded with commercials. One commercial that got my attention is this “Ako Mismo” campaign. Different people with different careers invite us to their campaign. They have Ely Buendia, Ramon Bautista, Maxine Magalona, Charice Pempenco, Arnel Pineda and a lot more. The advocacy of the ad is to push people to do little things that can end poverty.

No comments: